English Horn Sonata Commissioning Consortium
“I knew when Joseph asked if he could write a piece for me that I would love the finished product. He has a sensitive ear and discerning grasp of what individual musical lines convey.”
— Jeralee Johnson
Last year, Boston-based oboist Jeralee Johnson and I collaborated on a set of pieces for solo oboe. This year we’re excited to create a substantial work for English horn and piano.
We invite you to join us.
- Jeralee Johnson — Boston, freelance musician. Consortium director
- Carolyn Hove — Los Angeles, English horn soloist of the LA Philharmonic
- David Ashton — New York, freelance musician
- Dr. A. Dione Chandler — Adjunct Professor of Oboe at Stetson University.
Commission at a Glance
- Instrumentation: English horn* and piano
- Difficulty: College/Professional
- Duration: 12–16 minutes
- Consortium Director: Jeralee Johnson
- Completion Date: November 1, 2017*
- Cost: $50+/$100+ students/professionals. Join below. DEADLINE: Sept. 1
- Donations: Interested persons who wish to provide any level of support are welcome to donate below.
* Performers who play viola, alto saxophone, or other alto instruments (plus cello) are also welcome to join, but should allow for an extra 4–6 weeks for me to prepare the arrangement for their instrument.
Consortium members receive the following benefits:
- Co-exclusive performance rights for a year (until November 1, 2018)
- Input on technical and artistic details during the work’s composition
- PDF of completed score and part on project completion date (a $15 value)
- Corrected hard copy of score and part after the premiere (a $25 value)
- Your name and your professional affiliation and/or orchestra included on the title page
- Right to record the work for personal portfolio and/or audition CD
- Right to record the work for non-commercial online audio and/or video streaming
- An exclusive, monthly newsletter featuring updates and insights into the work’s creation
Donors receive the benefits below that accumulate as follows:
- $1+: A handwritten thank you note
- $10+: An mp3 recording of the completed work when it becomes available
- $25+: Your name listed in the score and program materials (if you choose)
- $50+: A vote on the piece’s title
- $75+: An autographed copy of the score
Donors or consortium members who contribute more than $100 will receive additional benefits to be determined mutually.
All donations go entirely to supporting the creation, score preparation and publication of this new work.
Hear Joseph’s Compositional Style
Daydreams and Postlude for solo oboe
Three fantasies and a cantankerous finale
Clarinet Sonata for B-flat clarinet and piano
A 25-minute sonata in four movements
Join the Consortium
Welcome to the consortium! Consortium members receive all the benefits listed above at $50 for students and $100 for professionals. The sheet music for the new piece won’t be on sale to the general public until the end of 2018. By joining now, you will receive both PDF and hard copies (a $40 dollar value) in addition to the other benefits listed above.
Those who contribute more than $100 will receive additional benefits to be determined mutually.
Click below to join the consortium by credit card or PayPal. DEADLINE: Sept. 1
Donate to the Consortium
Thanks for helping bring a new piece of music to life! Donors may receive a variety of benefits listed above. If you contribute more than $100, you get VIP status, which includes additional benefits to be determined mutually.
Click below to make your contribution by credit card or PayPal.
Questions may be directed to Joseph Sowa at firstname.lastname@example.org.